1. High-definition printing up to 1200 (H) ´ 1200 (V) (when the Canon printer driver is
used) using the new BJ cartridge type (600 dpi resolution).
Three types of BJ cartridges are available: Black BJ cartridge "BC-80", Color BJ
cartridge "BC-81", and Photo BJ cartridge "BC-82 photo."
2. Two types of BJ cartridges are installed on the printer.
Color BJ cartridge "BC-81" is installed at all times, with either the Black BJ cartridge
"BC-81" or the Photo BJ cartridge "BC-82 photo" installed to meet the particular
3. A new printing process using ink optimizer achieves high waterproofing properties
when printing on plain paper (including envelopes and thick paper).
During color printing, this new process prints after coating the surface of the paper
with ink optimizer for promoting waterproofing properties. During black-and-white
printing, printing is carried out by one of two methods. Either black ink, then ink
optimizer and then black ink again are discharged, or black ink followed by ink
optimizer is discharged. The ink optimizer is discharged from Black BJ cartridge
4. HQ mode: 213 cps (10 kHz discharge, bi-directional printing), HS mode: 683 cps (8
kHz discharge, bi-directional printing)
5. There is no paper thickness selection lever due to the automatic paper thickness
adjustment mechanism (moving platen).
6. Flapper unit prevents contact between paper currently being printed and printed
paper on the paper output tray.
7. IEEE1284-compatible bi-directional parallel interface (ECP mode, nibble mode,
compatibility mode: Default is nibble mode and RS-422 interface for the Macintosh.
The parallel interface and the interface for the Macintosh can be automatically
8. "Ink out" and "no ink tank" are detected by optical ink sensor.
9. Ink tanks can be removed from the installed BJ cartridges on the carriage, allowing
empty ink tanks to be replaced.
10. Canon's first bubble jet printer to have a built-in cassette (1st cassette) ; an
optional 2nd cassette can be attached.
11. There is only one built-in printer control mode, the Canon extended mode (native
mode). In this mode, print signals are sent from the host computer after they have
been converted to Canon extended mode by the Canon printer driver. Emulation
mode is not supported.
Printing processes using the ink optimizer are applied in both black-andwhite
and color printing in printing modes other than draft mode when the
paper type is set to plain paper, envelope, or thick paper on the printer
driver. The ink optimizer is not discharged when the paper type is set to
special paper or film on the printer driver.
The "ink out detection" function detects running out of ink and displays
an error before printing becomes defective (e.g. faint printing) due to lack